Document Scanners are a handy tool to have. In today’s world, everything is digitalized. At such a time, having never-ending piles of documents is just a source of hassle.
If you have an up and running business, you might find the act of retyping all the necessary physical files to create a digital copy to be a hectic task. This is where a document scanner comes in handy. It allows you to swiftly make a digital copy.
Are you still confused about choosing the best document scanner from a sea of similar-looking products? Well, here are a few products that might satisfy you. Assess their features, pros, and cons and decide accordingly.
15 Best Scanners in 2022: Take Your Pick
Pick Your Scanner Wisely. Some of these scanners may not be for you because of price, portability and some other aspect. Read the pros and cons of each scanner and compare it with other good scanners you like, get a pick.
1. Raven Pro Document Scanner
High Speed Color Duplex Desktop Scanner
- Large 8 inch LCD touchscreen interface.
- 60 pages per minute duplex two-sided scanning speed.
- 600dpi resolution quality in color, b&w and grayscale.
- ADF holds 100 sheets of paper.
- Wi-Fi, Ethernet and USB connectivity options.
- Works with Raven Desktop for Windows PC and Mac.
If you’re looking for a high-performance document scanner that is so simple, anyone could set it up and use it in minutes, the Raven Scanner is your best choice. Unlike any other scanner on the market, the Raven Scanner is a true standalone device that does not require the use of a computer (or drivers) to scan to destinations.
Connected by Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and featuring a massive touchscreen, the Raven Pro Document Scanner can scan directly to email, fax, SharePoint, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, Evernote, OneDrive, Quickbooks Online and even SMB Shares or FTP servers.
The Raven Scanner seamlessly creates PDF documents with free AI-powered optical character recognition (OCR) applied, making your documents fully searchable. The scanner has advanced processing capabilities such as automatic blank page removal, automatic page orientation, deskewing and auto-cropping – ensuring a clean and simple scan experience. With ultrasonic multi-feed detection, paper jams are a thing of the past.
Raven also provides their own cloud-based document management software, Raven Cloud, at no additional cost with free unlimited storage. This powerful tool includes premium features such as document editing and signatures.
- Unbox and set up in minutes.
- Fast scanning and large ADF capacity.
- No computer required to set up and use.
- Free cloud storage, faxing and OCR.
- Pricier option due to performance & features.
2. Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500
Desk Scanner for Mac and PC
- Duplexing scanning speed of 25 pages per minute.
- 600dpi resolution.
- ADF of 50 pages created.
- Intelligent scan correction for quality check.
- Compatibility with Windows, iOS, Wi-Fi, and USB.
Are you looking for an easy to use a scanner that does not take ages to function? If so, Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 is here with the perfect solution for you. This scanner has succeeded in delivering all of the required features.
Rather than just scanning your documents in an old-fashioned way, this scanner is capable of converting them into PDFs. The best part is that you won’t have to lift a finger to convert the scanned files into PDF. Instead, the scanner will create multi-page PDFs without you struggling. All you will be required to do is press a button and voila you are done.
Rather than having to manually upload your documents to the cloud or using other means to access it on various platforms, this scanner is equipped with integrated cloud connectivity. Generally, scanners only allow you to upload to Google Drive. However, this product takes it further up a notch and has included Dropbox, Evernote, and other cloud services into the mix as well. This makes it a convenient option for you regardless of which cloud service you use.
- Easy to set up.
- Fast output.
- Can scan photos, documents, and receipts.
- Can only connect to one computer at a time.
3. Epson WorkForce ES-400
Color Duplex Document Scanner
- Duplex technology allows you to scan up to 35 pages per minute.
- Integrated with online storage accounts, including SharePoint, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- Converts documents into PDF, Excel and Word Files.
- Connectivity with USB and optional network interface unit.
Whether it be business cards or long pages, Epson WorkForce is here for you with the perfect scanner. In most document scanners, you get what you put in. It seldom occurs that the document scanner itself makes an effort to improve the quality of the text. This is where Epson Workforce succeeds in leaving a mark.
It is accompanied by an intelligent technology that allows it to make image and color adjustments. Whether it be cropping or removing blank pages, you can do it all with the image processing technology.
Even though the product is not a portable scanner, it does succeed in being less bulky than some of its competitors. The fact that it features a compact design has been lauded by many. This is especially true for those who look have limited storage space. Also, since the scanner is capable of handling long pages as well, its compact size does not come at the cost of compromised quality.
- Low cost.
- Fast output.
- Can scan both images and text.
- Optical character recognition can be improved.
4. Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i
Portable Color Document Scanner
- One button simplicity – just scan and save
- Scan speed of up to 12 double-sided pages per minute
- 10-page automatic document feeder
- Optical Resolution 600 dpi
- Create searchable PDF and editable Word and Excel files
- Compliant PA03643-B205 Business Card Scanners
For those of you who are looking for a portable solution to your document scanning problems, you might want to give Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i a try.
The biggest downside of most document scanners is their complex operationality. Not everyone is a pro at dealing with such devices. For some, having to press multiple buttons can seem daunting.
With this scanner, you won’t have to worry about this. Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i document scanner is equipped with one-button operationality. All you need to do is scan and save and you are done.
Whether it be its weight or size, this document scanner has been specifically designed to deliver portability. Its compact size not only ensures that you can take the document scanner with you, but it also means that placing it on small spaces will not be an issue for you.
- Equipped with business card and document management feature.
- Has an automatic document feeder.
- Easy to use.
- The scan speed is slow.
5. Fujitsu fi-7160
Best Document Scanner in 2021
- Scanning speed of up to 60ppm
- Optical resolution of up to 600 dpi
- Large capacity 80-page automatic document feeder
- 4000-page daily duty cycle
- TWAIN and ISIS drivers included
- Intelligent Sonic Paper Protection (iSOP)
Reliability. Quality. Speed. Fujitsu fi-7160 has been successful in delivering it all. This is why it is considered to be one of the best document scanners for midsize office use.
The last thing you want to worry about when using a document scanner is damaging your documents. Yet, there are quite a few document scanners that cause damages and tearing to the document you feed to them.
Fujitsu fi-7160 ensures this doesn’t happen through its intelligent sonic paper protection technology. This technology works by listening to the noise of your paper feed. If it detects an anomaly, the machine stops operating to prevent damage to your documents.
If you are looking for a scanner that is equipped with the capability of scanning more than just a standard-sized paper, you might find this document scanner to be a worthy investment. Rather than just allowing you to scan legal-sized documents, this product lets you use It for sticky notes, labels, embossed ID and credit cards, and receipts.
- It is equipped with a USB 3.0 connectivity.
- The duplex scanning speed is impressive.
- The design is compact and hence easy to store.
- Optical character recognition software can be improved.
6. Brother ImageCenter ADS-2700W
High-Speed Desktop Document Scanner
- Max Paper Capacity: 50 sheet document feeder
- Max Scanning Speed: 35ppm (Simplex), 70ipm (Duplex)
- Paper documents, receipts, photos, business, plastic ID cards; 8.5″ x 196″
- Auto-size Document Detection, Multi-Feed Detection, Searchable PDF, Blank Page Skip, Background Removal
- Driver Compatibility: TWAIN / SANE / WIA / ICA
ADS-2700W has been lauded by the masses for its value-added features and flexible usage. The fact that you can use it to scan an array of items has been appreciated by many.
Automatic document feeding is an excellent feature to have. Sadly, this feature has a limit. What happens if you have a document which is bigger than the ADF limit? To avoid this hassle, this scanner comes with a continuous scan mode. This mode allows you to scan large documents without having to manually feed them into the machine.
Sometimes, documents are horizontal. Other times, they feature blank pages and black backgrounds. This makes scanning them quite a difficult task. To make sure that customers are provided with quality scans, this digital scanner is accompanied by various advanced scanning features. For example, it has the capability of removing backgrounds and blank pages. It can also rotate images if they are lopsided.
- Affordable price.
- Fast scanning speed.
- The OCR is excellent
- There is no Wi-Fi support.
7. Xerox DocuMate 3220
Sheetfed and Flatbed Scanner
- The scan resolution is 300 dpi
- The formats it can scan to are PDF, RTF, JPEG, BMP, and TIFF.
- Speed is 15 ppm for simplex and 30 ipm for duplex.
- Compatible with a USB 2.0 connection.
Individuals who are looking for easy installation and all the benefits of a flatbed and ADF combined will find Xerox DocuMate to be a good choice.
Scanning documents are not enough. You also need to convert them into digital documents. To do so, you either have to convert them into PDFs or a Word file.
Not all document scanners deliver a feature that allows you to do so without exerting any effort. Xerox DocuMate 3220 does. It achieves this via the Nuance Paperport the is known to transform your physical documents into searchable copies from the moment you scan them.
This document scanner can scan in various colors. This includes black, grayscale, white and colored scans. You can direct your scan to different destinations. This ranges from emails to fax. This feature allows users to send the scanned document directly to the concerned location.
- The price is low.
- The OCR performance is satisfactory.
- Easy to set up.
- When scanning to PDF format, the speed is quite low
8. Doxie Go SE
The intuitive portable scanner
- The included Doxie lets you sync the scans to other apps.
- The resolution is 600 dpi.
- Store 4000 pages worth of material before requiring a sync.
- You can use it to create PDF, JPEG and PNG files.
- The scanned documents can be shared with cloud services.
Doxie GO SE succeeds in giving new meaning to portable scanners. Its design is stylish and practical enough to ensure aesthetic appeal and portability.
You don’t need to connect this scanner to a computer. Instead, you can use it to scan documents regardless of where you are. Moreover, you also don’t need to attach it to a socket. By charging it, you are good to use it anywhere anytime.
The fact that you can archive and share your scanned documents when on the go further enhances the benefits offered by the product.
The design of this document scanner has to be its greatest unique selling point. It takes compactness to a whole new level. Generally, portable scanners are not able to scan a lot of pages. However, this is not the case with this document scanner. When fully charged, it can scan up to 400 pages.
- It charges quite fast and lasts long per charge.
- The speed is satisfactory.
- The design is aesthetically pleasing.
- The auto power off feature is an inconvenience.
9. Avision AW210
Automatic Document Feed Scanner
- The scanning speed is 34 pages per minute.
- You can control the brightness and contrast of the output.
- The included software is PaperPort and AVScan.
- The dimensions are 6″ x 13”.
- The resolution is 600 dpi.
- In one operation, it can scan up to 50 pages.
All those of you who are looking for the right blend of quality and style, you will find Avision AW210 to be a satisfactory choice.
Regardless of what device you purchase, you always look for durability. No one has the time or money to invest in a document scanner again and again. This is why durability is a sought-after feature as far as electronics are concerned. This simplex scanner is able to deliver enhanced durability with the help of its robust construction.
Unlike other sheet-fed scanners that take quite a lot of space on your desk, this product vows to be different. It features a small footprint. You can understand this to meant that the scanner is as compact as a sheet-fed scanner can be. While it is not necessarily portable, the compact design does ensure that you are able to fit the scanner in your workspace without any issue.
- Highly user-friendly.
- The quality of scans is excellent.
- It can be used without a computer
- The installation process is problematic.
10. Brother ImageCenter ADS-2800W
Best Wireless Document Scanner
- It can scan both one side as well as two-sides in one go.
- The speed delivered is 30 ppm.
- The wireless network connection allows you to scan to cloud services.
- It is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, 8, 8.1, 10, etc.
- A one-year warranty is included.
When you think of document scanners, you are bound to imagine something obsolete. Most document scanners follow these classifications. However, Brother ImageCenter has included a digitalized touch that makes the invention even better. Rather than just handling a standard-sized document, this product allows you to scan embossed cards as well as 196-inch long documents.
Rather than compromising on resolution and clarity in such documents, it delivers an exemplary interpolated and optical resolution as well. Its media handling abilities are also capable of removing hole punches, background, and edge clean-up.
This document scanner does not have buttons. Instead, it has a touchscreen control panel. Since most of us are more familiar with touch-screen operation, the inclusion of this control panel makes the document quite user-friendly.
- There are various connectivity options.
- It is a good value for money.
- It is bulky.
- The quality of the scans can further be improved.
11. Brother ADS1500W
Compact Color Desktop Scanner
- Equipped with a 2.7-inch touchscreen.
- It can scan business cards, receipts, photos, and documents.
- Compatibility with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- The software package includes deskewing support, auto image rotation, and blank page removal.
- The scan speed of 18 ppm.
ADS1500W is yet another document scanner offered by Brother that has been successful in garnering praise from the masses.
This document scanner is equipped with additional software that is seldom offered by others. It is called BR-Receipt software and allows users a way of organizing all the data in a meaningful and convenient form. It exports data and receipts to Quicken and Quickbooks.
The quality of the service offered by a document scanner is proportional to the number of destinations it allows you to upload your scanned copies. In this aspect, this document scanner has been successful in satisfying users. This is because not only does it scan your files to popular cloud services like Google Drive and Dropbox, but it also includes options like Picasa, Evernote, Web Albums, Flickr, SkyDrive, and Box.
- Also used to scan directly to USB.
- Duplex scanning.
- Can be scanned to PC.
- The installation process is slow.
12. Canon imageFormula DR-C225
High-Speed Document Scanner
- The design has a dimension of 8.7″ x 11.8″ x 6.1”.
- It features single-touch operationality.
- It can handle documents of 118-inch length.
- Plastic embossed cards can be scanned as well.
The space-saving and stylish design of the Canon ImageFormula make it an excellent tool for converting paper-based documents to digital format. It doesn’t matter how great a document scanner is. If it is too complicated to use, no one will bother using the device. The Canon DR-C225 is quite easy to use.
This is because the design of the product is such that you can feed the documents top-up. This eliminates the need for flipping the paper-based documents. The fact that the scanner can adjust multiple settings further makes it easy to use.
The scanned output of the device is of high quality. This is achieved by the inclusion of various features. This includes shadow cropping, straightening images, color detection, and scanning mixed documents. All of this plays an integral role in ensuring the quality of the scanned output. Therefore, it doesn’t matter if the quality of your paper-based document is subpar, the document scanner will yield the best result possible.
- Double-side scanning is offered.
- The recognition accuracy is excellent.
- The various software makes it a convenient purchase.
- The business card recognition is not effective.
13. Fujitsu Fi-7030
Professional Document Scanner For Office
- A duplex scanner with a scanning speed of 27 ppm.
- Also handle documents, ID cards, and embossed credit cards.
- The resolution is 600dpi.
- The ADF can handle 50-sheets.
This automatic document feeder has an excellent capacity and scan speed. Fujitsu has delivered all the features that matter. The number of pages a document can scan per day is what matters to most users. The duty cycle of the scanner governs the usability of a given product.
This document scanner has the ability to scan up to 1000 pages a day. This makes it a convenient product to have for work-related scanning. When you combine this with the high scan speed, you can rest assured that the scanner will be ideal for workspaces.
The performance of the scanner is quite fast. Whether it be color or grayscale scanning, the scanning speed of it all is fast. Compared to the previous model of the same product, this is an upgrade. The old model features 35% less speed than this. The performance of a scanner is not just limited to the scan speed.
Instead, it also includes start-up and recovery time. Both of these are low in this scanner. The former is 0.5 seconds and recovery time is 1 second.
- Highly reliable.
- Easy to install.
- The design can be improved.
14. Fujitsu fi-6130Z
Best Scanner For Office Use
- Scan a document with a maximum of 1.4 mm thickness.
- Includes a one-touch operation.
- Compatibility with USB 2.0, 1.1.
- The resolution is 600 dpi.
- A duplex speed of 80 ppm.
- A duty cycle of 4000 sheets.
- Ability to handle 50-pages per go.
Are you looking for a robust scanner for your office space? If so, Fujitsu is here with the perfect sheet-fed document scanner.
Scanning taped receipts is always a hassle. Most scanners refuse to scan them properly. Those who do yield terrible output. The Fi-6130Z is an exception to this. By including an intelligent multi-feeder feature, it has been able to successfully scan overlapped documents, whether it be stapled files or taped receipts.
Some might view the bulky design of the product to be a flaw. However, it all depends on how you view it. For example, if you are looking for a scanner to place on your office desk, the last thing you would want is for it to be too light. After all, this undermines the stability of the scanner on the desk. The plastic construction of the scanner is no match for a metal exterior. But, it is still sturdy enough to allow proper usage.
- The scanning speed is fast.
- The product is compact yet sturdy.
- An excellent duty cycle.
- Not as durable as other products.
How to Select a Scanner
Selecting a scanner is not an easy task. There is an abundance of scanners in the market. The fact that there are so many types and variants further complicates the task.
Therefore, it is important for you to know how to select a document scanner so that you don’t end up with the wrong scanner. Even before you are looking at possible options, here are a few factors that will govern and filter your choice.
Price: Some document scanners are expensive. Others are not. Just like in any other category, document scanners also fall in a wide range of price spectrum. To choose the product which is perfect for you, you must set a budget prior to the purchase. This will allow you to filter options that are too expensive.
Need: Which document scanner is ideal for you depends on how you plan on using it. Are you looking for a high-quality scan or would a subpar quality scan suffice?
The latter would satisfy those who already have a quality scanner in their office and need one for their home. You also need to see whether you plan on scanning standard sized documents or larger ones. Similarly, do you need portability? If so, you will have to limit your search to portable scanners only.
Storage space: Remember, different products come in varying sizes. Whether a given document scanner is usable also depends on how much space you have on your desk. A bulky document scanner may be good at producing quality scans, but if it doesn’t fit in your workspace, it is not worth the hassle.
Feature to Consider While Buying a scanner
After making the pre-purchase decisions mentioned above, there are various things you have to consider when selecting a scanner. Here are some of the essential ones:
The quality of the scan is hands down the essential feature to look for in a document scanner. After all, it governs whether or not the digital output is comprehensive or not. Resolution refers to the detail level of the scanner. Just like in a laptop, it is measured by the number of DPI on the screen. The higher this measure is, the better the resolution. This then translates to quality and clear scans. A product with a low resolution will not be able to deliver clear scans.
If the scanner delivers two scans at the same time, it is an excellent feature to have. If you are investing in flatbed or screen fed scanners, you might want to look out for this feature. This is because it enhances the speed of the scanning process. When you are scanning a bunch of documents, the convenience of duplexing can make all the difference.
Scan Speeds & Specifications
Check out the specifications of the document scanner to see what its speed is. The number of scans it can process per minute, the better it is for you. However, remember that a high scan speed is proportional to a high price.
This trade-off might be worth it if you need a document scanner for scanning a never-ending pile of files. However, if your scanning requirements are sparse, there isn’t much of a need to look for incredibly high scan speeds.
Scan to Cloud
A document scanner which has the capability of automatically scanning to a cloud is bound to be helpful. It reduces the amount of work you have to do in compiling the digital files in a safe and secure place. There are various scanners that automatically scan to cloud and hence do not require much input from you. Try to look for this added benefit when selecting a document scanner.
Connectivity is an umbrella term used to define an array of needed features. This includes cloud storage export, mobile device, and email export, the inclusion of Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and USB features. You might think that all document scanners are equipped with these essential elements.
However, this is not the case. While some may feature a given type of connectivity, it will lack others. It is your job to find a scanner that offers enhanced connectivity. If you are unable to find all the required elements, at least make sure you choose one which has the most crucial ones.
Optical Character Recognition
Whether or not a given scanner is worth the purchase also depends on its power of optical character recognition. Flatbed and sheet-fed scanners are generally equipped with an optical character recognition software that allows them to detect written words and convert them into a scanned copy.
However, the quality of recognition can vary. Hence, you must ensure that the document scanner you choose is accompanied by a satisfactory optical character recognition capability.
Build Quality & Features
At the end of the day, durability and value-added features are just as important in a document scanner as they are on other purchases. You wouldn’t want to invest your money in a scanner which breaks after a few months now, would you? This is why it is integral for you to assess the build quality of your chosen product and decide whether you think it can withstand the wear and tear. Also, any premium priced product should be matched by additional features that make the extra money spent worth it.
Document Scanner Buying Guide
Choosing a quality document scanner from a wide variety of options available is no easy task. There are quite a few things you must know about document scanners before you choose one.
Types of Scanners
Broadly speaking, there are three types of scanners in the market. This includes the following:
If you have ever seen a printer, you can expect this product to be of a similar design. However, compared to a printer, the size of a flatbed scanner is small. They feature a flip-up cover that is placed on a glass platen. Whether or not a given flatbed scanner will be usable for you depends on the size of documents it can scan. Generally, they can fit a legal-sized document with little effort.
Compared to other types of scanners, a flatbed scanner is quite different. This is because it is the only scanner that allows you to lay a given document on the machine and scan both its side in a few seconds.
- The quality of the scans is exceptional and is the best among the three types.
- Since all you have to do is place the document on the scanner and close the cover, the product is very easy to use. This holds true regardless of whether you are a novice or a pro at scanning.
- Flatbed scanners take up a lot of space. They are also very bulky and hence cannot be transported from one place to another easily.
- The price of the scanners is quite high.
A sheet-fed scanner looks a lot like a laser printer. The similarity doesn’t end there. Instead, the product also functions in somewhat a similar way. The operationality of the sheet-fed scanner includes drawing in documents into the sheet feeder, passing through the imaging sensor and coming out of the output tray. With the help of optical character recognition, the scanner is able to convert printed letters into digital ones.
- They are excellent for scanning standard, legal-sized documents.
- They can scan documents at a high speed.
- They cannot be used to scan oversized documents.
- Damaged documents may get further damaged if you put it in a sheet-fed scanner.
As the name suggests, these scanners are handheld devices that allow you to scan documents when you are on the go. Unlike the other two types of scanners, a portable scanner is light in weight and easy to carry around.
- The price of portable scanners is low.
- They are a source of massive convenience as you are not limited to a desktop or workspace to scan documents.
- It does not feature the same high quality as a flatbed scanner.
- The speed of scanning is not fast in this document scanner
All the scanners mentioned have been successful in delivering one value or another. There is no universally best document scanner. Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 Color Duplex Desk Scanner is the best among them in terms of quality and value. For those of you who are looking for portability, you can’t go wrong with Doxie Go SE.
The document scanner you prefer can be different from our choices. At the end of the day, your choice is what matters. Select a scanner wisely. Bid the problem of using poor quality scanners goodbye.